About the Summer Nursing Internship Program at UCHealth
- Internship opportunities available in southern Colorado (Colorado Springs) for 2021.
- The internship lasts 9 weeks, from May 24 to July 30, 2021.
- Interns are scheduled to work full time, 36 hours per week, and are assigned to a preceptor during this time.
- This is a temporary position, so no benefits are offered.
- Application window for the 2021 program: February 1 – 26.
- Interviews for the 2021 program will take place in March (virtual interviews).
Main responsibilities of the summer nursing intern
- Provide patient care under the supervision of an RN according to established skills lists.
- Utilize population-specific guidelines.
- Learn about nursing-related topics, including the interdisciplinary approach to patient care, discharge planning, and patient education.
- Learn about and emphasize nursing excellence.
Application requirements for the summer nursing intern position
- Must be currently enrolled in a BSN nursing program (may be dual enrolled ADN/BSN).
- Must have at least one semester of nursing school left prior to graduating with either your BSN or ADN (ideal candidates will graduate between Dec. 2021 and Aug. 2022).
- Must have a current BLS card from American Heart Association, or BLS for Healthcare Providers from American Red Cross, that is good through the end of July 2021.
- Must be available to work full time (36 hours per week) during the entire 9 weeks of the internship.
Learn about nursing units at UCHealth
How to apply
DO NOT BEGIN APPLICATION WITHOUT REVIEWING THIS INFORMATION FIRST. PLEASE HAVE YOUR COMPLETE SINGLE DOCUMENT, AS DESCRIBED UNDER STEP 2 BELOW, PREPARED BEFORE BEGINNING THIS APPLICATION.
- Turn off pop-up blockers
- Visit https://careers.uchealth.org/ (or click button link at bottom of this page) during the application window, search “Summer,” and click the “Apply Now” link. If you are a current UCHealth employee, please go to Employee Space, click on Job Openings, and search “Summer.”
- The first step will be to upload the required supplemental document (see below for more information on the supplemental document). You will see a place to upload a resume at the top of the first page of the application; this is where you will attach your supplemental document.
- Once you have uploaded your supplemental document, proceed with the application below. Ensure that required information, education, and work history are accurate and up-to-date. The email and phone number you list will be the primary means of communication for program updates.
- Pages 1 and 2 – Supplemental Application. Please answer ALL the questions on the supplemental application.
- Page 3 – Cover letter. This should give a brief overview of why you’re interested in the Summer Nursing Internship and also reiterate why you’re a good fit for your unit(s) of choice and UCHealth overall.
- Pages 4 and 5 – Comprehensive resume.
- Page 6 – Letter of Recommendation. The letter has no template or fixed criteria. Instead, this is a character reference submitted on your behalf from your past manager, clinical educator, instructor, supervisor, family, friend, peer, fellow student, etc.
- Page 7 – (typically) 9 – Nursing school unofficial transcripts.
When the application window opens, click Apply online, search “Summer,” and complete the process.