About the Summer Nursing Internship Program at UCHealth
- Internship opportunities available in northern Colorado and southern Colorado (applicants are welcome to apply for both programs)
- The internship lasts 9 to 10 weeks (typically from late May to late July)
- Interns are scheduled to work full time, 32-36 hours per week, and are assigned to a preceptor during this time
- This is a temporary position, so no benefits are offered
- Application window for the 2020 program: November 4 – 29, 2019 (tentative)
- Interviews typically take place in early January before spring semester begins
Main responsibilities of the summer nursing intern
- Provide patient care under the supervision of an RN according to established skills lists
- Utilize population-specific guidelines
- Learn about nursing-related topics, including the interdisciplinary approach to patient care, discharge planning, and patient education
- Learn about and emphasize nursing excellence
Application requirements for the summer nursing intern position
- Must be currently enrolled in a BSN nursing program (may be dual enrolled ADN/BSN)
- Must have at least one semester of nursing school left prior to graduating with either your BSN or ADN
- Must have a current BLS card from American Heart Association, or BLS for Healthcare Providers from American Red Cross
- Must be available to work full time (32-36 hours per week) during the entire 9-10 weeks of the internship
Learn about nursing units at UCHealth
How to apply
DO NOT BEGIN APPLICATION WITHOUT REVIEWING THIS INFORMATION FIRST. PLEASE HAVE YOUR COMPLETE SINGLE DOCUMENT, AS DESCRIBED UNDER STEP 2 BELOW, PREPARED BEFORE BEGINNING THIS APPLICATION.
- Turn off pop-up blockers
- Visit https://careers.uchealth.org/ (or click button link at bottom of this page) during the application window, search “Summer,” and click the “Apply Now” link. If you are a current UCHealth employee, please go to Employee Space, click on Job Openings, and search “Summer.”
- Enter your User Name and Password if a returning applicant, or click the “Register Now” link to set up a profile for the first time.
- The first step will be to upload the required supplemental document (see below for more information on the supplemental document). You will see a place to upload a resume at the top of the first page of the application; this is where you will attach your supplemental document.
- Once you have uploaded your supplemental document, proceed with the application below. Ensure that required information, education, and work history are accurate and up-to-date. The email and phone number you list will be the primary means of communication for program updates.
- Pages 1 and 2 – Supplemental Application. Please answer ALL the questions on the supplemental application.
- Page 3 – Cover letter. This should give a brief overview of why you’re interested in the Summer Nursing Internship and also reiterate why you’re a good fit for your unit(s) of choice and UCHealth overall.
- Pages 4 and 5 – Comprehensive resume.
- Page 6 – Letter of Recommendation. The letter has no template or fixed criteria. Instead, this is a character reference submitted on your behalf from your past manager, clinical educator, instructor, supervisor, family, friend, peer, fellow student, etc.
- Page 7 – (typically) 9 – Nursing school unofficial transcripts.
When the application window opens, click Apply online, search “Summer,” and complete the process.