Are you currently enrolled in a BSN program?
The Advanced Care Partner program at UCHealth allows nursing students an opportunity to enhance clinical skills in a hospital environment while still enrolled in a BSN program.
Applicants must be actively enrolled in a baccalaureate nursing program without interruption in progression or have graduated from an accredited BSN program.
For more information about Program requirements and stipulations please see below. Advanced Care Partners will work under the supervision of a registered nurse in selected clinical areas, and function as CNAs with additional specialized skills.
Benefits for BSN students
- Increase clinical competency caring for patients and enhance critical thinking skills
- Develop more advanced interpersonal skills and build self-confidence in the acute care environment
- Determine if your clinical service is a “match” for an area of inpatient nursing as a start to your nursing career
- Perform in an evidence-based, knowledge-driven environment
- Gain insights into how delegated personnel work with professional registered nurses
- While there is no guarantee of being selected for one of our Nurse Residency Program positions after you graduate, working as an ACP offers the opportunity to demonstrate your professionalism and outstanding work ethic while employed with UCHealth.
Other skills you will learn
- Place peripheral IVs
- Perform phlebotomy (in certain clinical areas)
- Place and remove urinary drainage catheters
- Perform central line dressing changes
Application information and requirements
- The Advanced Care Partner must be actively enrolled in a baccalaureate nursing program without interruption in progression or have graduated from an accredited BSN program.
- Must have completed Med/Surg I (or equivalent). >> See a list of common Med/Surg-1 equivalent courses.
- Must be able to attend all mandatory orientation days. All orientation days will be from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Mondays (metro Denver orientation includes a second session on Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) No exceptions are permitted, and it is important that personal and school schedules are coordinated beforehand.
- Must be able to work at least one 12-hour shift (day, nights or weekends, as needed by unit) per week consistently until graduation. Minimum hours for the ACP Program stipulates that any in-state or out-of-state cohort participant will work either one 12-hour shift a week, or 24 hours per pay period in order to satisfy program criteria. When you are unable to meet this criteria, we would cease employment with you at that point.
- The ACP program is most beneficial to applicants who are at least 6 to 12 months or more from graduation. Applicants graduating within the next year are encouraged to wait and apply for the UCHealth Nurse Residency Program.
- Withdraw or dismissal from the nursing program. The ACP may not re-apply to the ACP Program.
- At any time during ACP employment, academic suspension, probation, course failure and/or other violation of nursing program guidelines for good academic standing:
- The ACP must notify (and provide any requested documentation) to Unit Manager associated with the status change in the nursing program.
- The ACP must demonstrate continued enrollment/matriculation in the nursing program.
- It is at the Unit Manager’s discretion as to employment status based on performance and/or reasons for academic suspension, probation, course failure and/or other violation of nursing program guidelines for good academic standing.
- Leave of absence (LOA) from the nursing program:
- The ACP must notify (and provide any requested documentation) to Unit Manager any LOA from their nursing program.
- Less than 6 months: While on a LOA for less than 6 months and in good academic standing from a BSN Program, an ACP may continue to work as normal. It remains at the Unit Manager’s discretion, based upon Unit needs, whether the ACP may also take a LOA from the ACP role.
- For 6 months or greater (the student must remain in good academic standing during the Leave of Absence): If absent from the ACP role or BSN Program for longer than 6 months, they will need to resign their position and re-apply to the ACP Program.
- Turn off pop-up blockers
- Visit https://careers.uchealth.org
- Search for “Advanced Care Partner” positions, and click the “Apply Now” link for the location and unit that you are interested in.
- If you are a current UCHealth employee, please apply in Employee Space. Click on Job Openings and search “Advanced Care Partner.”
- If a specific unit does not have an ACP position posted, that unit does not have a current approved opening. You can either apply to other units or check back periodically for your preferred unit opening.
Ensure that information, education, and work history contained in your resume are accurate and up-to-date. The email and phone number associated with your applicant profile will be the primary means of communication for Program updates.
You will have the opportunity to attach one single PDF or Word document to your profile at the top of the first page of the online application (in the place where it allows you to upload a resume). Please include the following three items in your document:
- Cover letter
- Comprehensive resume
- Nursing school unofficial transcripts (verifying your completion of Med-Surg I or equivalent)
If a unit is interested in interviewing you after you apply, either a recruiter or a representative from the unit will connect with you via phone or email to coordinate this interview. In the event that you are selected for an offer as an ACP, a recruiter will contact you to explain the details of the offer and schedule you for a Monday (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) orientation date that works best for your schedule.
If you receive an e-mail from SkillSurvey regarding an electronic reference check, please respond to this request at your earliest convenience. If you have completed a SkillSurvey reference check in the last 6 months for a similar position, this step will not be required again. The reference-check is a mandatory step in UCHealth’s hiring process for further consideration.
Learn about nursing units at UCHealth
For questions regarding this program, please contact the recruiter:
Metro Denver: James Weekley / email@example.com
Northern or southern Colorado: Julie Willis / firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply
- Click the “Apply online” button.
- Search for “Advanced Care Partner” and apply.