Last updated Monday, 4/15/19
Our Progressive Pathway Program provides opportunities to UCH RNs who wish to expand their career into a critical care unit or a specialty unit. Applicants must be UCH employees and follow the UCHealth System Internal Transfer Policy. NOTE: graduates of the Nurse Residency Program must have been with their current UCH unit for 2 years prior to the start date of the program. There are no exceptions to this rule.
Many Critical Care units are participating in the Progressive Pathway Program. For a complete and updated list of nursing units participating in each cohort, please refer to job postings on our internal career site during specifically outlined application windows.
Get dates and deadlines on future Pathway cohorts:
>> View metro Denver nursing unit descriptions (please note participating units in active job posting during specific cohorts)
- First, meet with your current manager to discuss your interest in transferring to a Critical Care or Specialty unit. (HR will send an evaluation for your manager to complete, and ask for your manager’s recommendation/endorsement for a transfer.)
- Then completely fill out the online application, and:
- Attach a comprehensive resume.
- Attach a cover letter explaining:
- Your credentials
- Into which unit you’d like to transfer
- Why you’re interested in that unit.
**Please note that our applicant tracking system only accepts 1 document attachment. Please scan your comprehensive resume and cover letter into 1 Adobe PDF attachment or upload these documents into 1 Microsoft Word document.**
Once your eligibility for the program has been confirmed, you will receive a confirmation email with the next steps.
In order to be considered for an opening in the Progressive Pathway Position, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- Must be a current University of Colorado Hospital employee – (former employees, non-employees and agency nurses working at UCH are not eligible for this program.)
- Must have been in your current unit as a Clinical RN for at least 6 months prior to the transfer date.
- Must be eligible for a transfer per the University of Colorado Hospital’s transfer policy (found on The Source as “Internal Transfers and Promotions”).
- Must apply and submit all requirements by the application deadline.
Employees who are selected for the Progressive Pathway Program will be required to:
- Agree to work full-time (.9 FTE) for at least one year after transferring to the ICU or specialty unit
- Agree to work rotating day/night shifts
- Attend and participate in the Essentials of Critical Care Orientation (ECCO) and / or additional orientation required for the Pathway program
- Transfer to the new unit
- Lose their current scheduling seniority
Interview and selection process
- HR will be responsible for verifying eligibility. You will be notified by HR if you do not meet requirements.
- The Pathway selection committee will review all applications and determine which candidates will be interviewed.
- Candidates will interview with the Critical Care / Specialty manager and other members of the interviewing team, and then shadow a nurse on that unit.
- Candidates will be informed of a decision a week after interviews are complete.
- Please note that if you are in a current role outside of the Clinical Nurse RN (e.g. Charge RN), acceptance into the Pathway program will require that your job status change to a Clinical Nurse RN. Following the UEXCEL bylaws, transfers to a different service may retain their advanced status for up to one year post-transfer. Should the advanced or expert clinical levels be unable to be demonstrated at one year, the nurse must be reclassified at the level occupied prior to advancement. Please see Section V5 of the UEXCEL Professional Practice Program/Model Bylaws. Please direct any questions to your current or hiring manager.
For more information about this program, please contact Paul Lavine at Paul.Lavine@uchealth.org.
Please note that this program is only open to employees of UCHealth University of Colorado Hospital.