Garth Englund Mobile Blood Bank in Northern Colorado
Have a busy schedule that makes it hard to donate? The Garth Englund Blood Center has a Mobile Blood Bank that makes appearances throughout northern Colorado.
Did you know that one blood donation can save three lives? When you give blood at UCHealth, your donation helps patients across Colorado.
UCHealth in northern Colorado operates blood donation centers (see map below) that exclusively support Poudre Valley Hospital, Medical Center of the Rockies and Estes Park Medical Center.
How is it done?
Before you go to a donation site, please make sure to eat something and bring a list of any medicines you take. Plan to stay at the facility for about 40-45 minutes for the entire process.
The donation process
- When you arrive, you’ll be greeted by staff members who will guide you through the process and answer your questions.
- We’ll help you complete health history and consent forms. As part of your health history, you’ll be asked about medicines you take. Most medicines are okay. You’ll also be asked about behavior that is considered a risk for HIV or hepatitis exposure.
- We’ll record your temperature and blood pressure and do a finger-stick test called a hematocrit to check the volume of your red blood cells.
- Your arm will be cleaned with a sterile disinfectant swab, and a needle inserted into a vein on the inside of your elbow.
- The actual blood donation takes five to 10 minutes. If you feel lightheaded at any time, please let us know.
- When you’re done, we’ll place a wrap on your arm. You’ll rest for a short time afterwards and enjoy a snack before you go.
Before you leave, please fill out a reminder postcard for your next appointment. You can give blood once every 56 days (eight weeks).