Breast cancer ranges from early/noninvasive to more aggressive types that can spread to other parts of the body. Typically found in women, breast cancer can also affect men, although at much lower rates.
At UCHealth facilities, a caring team of doctors and support professionals from many fields work together to develop the best plan of care for you. You receive doctor-managed care that emphasizes wellness and healing for you as a whole person, and they stay with you from your initial appointment through treatment and aftercare.
Our UCHealth complementary and integrative medicine specialists incorporate options such as massage therapy, acupuncture, and exercise consultation into your treatment.
Selecting appropriate treatment for your cancer
Treatment depends on the type of cancer and the stage of the cancer. There are many different ways to treat cancer.
Staging is the process of finding out how much cancer is in a person’s body and where it is located.
Your doctor will determine the stage of your cancer. Your stage will depend on many factors such as:
- Where the tumor is located in the body
- The cell type
- Size of the tumor
- If the cancer has spread to nearby lymph nodes
- If the cancer has spread to other parts of the body
- Tumor grade, which refers to how abnormal the cancer cells look under a microscope and how likely the tumor is to grow and spread
Cancer specialists select treatment approaches to cancer based on its location and its severity. If cancer is located in one area (localized), surgery may be the best option. Surgery is most successful when cancer has not spread to other areas.
Clinical trials: developing the future of medicine
Advances in medicine come from new ideas developed through clinical research. At UCHealth, we conduct hundreds of clinical trials (also called research trials or research studies) in our ongoing effort to discover and deliver more effective treatments. Our goal is to translate discoveries made in the laboratory to patients as quickly as possible.
- UCHealth Breast Cancer Multidisciplinary Clinic - Memorial Hospital North
- UCHealth Breast Center - Lone Tree
- UCHealth Cancer Care - Anschutz Medical Campus - University of Colorado Cancer Center
- UCHealth Diane OConnor Thompson Breast Center - Anschutz Medical Campus
- UCHealth High-Risk Breast Cancer Clinic - Memorial Hospital Central
- UCHealth Mary Lou Beshears Breast Care Clinic - Briargate
- UCHealth Mary Lou Beshears Breast Care Clinic - Printers Park