Approaches to radiation oncology
Pediatric radiation oncologists
At UCHealth, you’ll find Colorado’s only dedicated pediatric radiation oncologist. We work with Children’s Hospital Colorado to ensure your children have the expert cancer radiation services that are best suited for their specific situations.
Radiation oncology is the careful use of high-energy radiation to treat cancer. Radiation therapy also may be used to treat other health conditions.
Effective radiation therapy options
At UCHealth, your care team can choose the most effective options and combinations from the two main types of radiation therapy—external beam and internal/implant.
Within UCHealth, our hospitals use a variety of approaches:
- Biologic-based radiotherapy
- Brachytherapy (internal/implant radiation), including Mammosite® therapy for breast cancer, high-dose-rate (HDR) treatment for cervical cancer, and low-dose-rate permanent seed implants for prostate cancer
- Gamma Knife® therapy
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) with daily image guidance
- Intraoperative radiation therapy (IORT)
- Shaped beam surgery for treating brain tumors and lesions
- Stereotactic (external beam) body radiation therapy (SBRT)
- Stereotactic radiosurgery
- TomoTherapy® Hi-Art® system
- TrueBeam STx radiosurgery
Each of these precision treatments protects surrounding tissue from the high doses of radiation used to target the tumor, mass, or cancer.