What is genetic testing and counseling?
Modern genetics allows us to understand how genetic diseases are inherited based on DNA, genes, and chromosomes.
Genetic tests analyze genes, chromosomes and proteins to:
- Predict if you are at risk of disease
- Determine if you are a carrier for a disease
- Detect or diagnose disease and help to predict how your disease will progress
Recent advances in the field of human genetics have greatly improved our knowledge of genetic conditions. The genetic specialists at UCHealth in metro Denver are experts at diagnosing and evaluating genetic conditions, and then working with you and your primary care physician to manage them.
Common genetic tests
We offer genetic testing and counseling for nearly any condition, including some of the more common:
- Arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat)
- Birth defects
- Hereditary cancer
- Cardiomyopathy (heart disease)
- Mental retardation
- Muscular dystrophy
- Thrombosis (blood clot)
- UCHealth Adult Genetics Clinic - Anschutz Medical Campus
- UCHealth Cancer Care and Hematology Clinic - Memorial Hospital Central
- UCHealth Cancer Genetic Counseling - Memorial Hospital Central
- UCHealth Hereditary Cancer Clinic - Anschutz Medical Campus
- UCHealth Prenatal Diagnosis and Genetics Clinic - Anschutz Medical Campus