Cancer care (oncology)
Nationally-recognized comprehensive cancer care and treatment for adults.
UCHealth offers you the most advanced cancer care close to home, with locations throughout Colorado, the eastern plains, and southern Wyoming. Our specialists collaborate across regions to provide you with an accurate diagnosis and to determine optimal treatment.
Our partnership with the University of Colorado Cancer Center
UCHealth’s unique partnership with the University of Colorado Cancer Center – the only Comprehensive Cancer Center in Colorado designated by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and one of just 51 in the country — gives our patients the benefit of cutting-edge science and the expertise of an academic center close to home.
UCHealth specializes in treating an array of cancer types
Our Remote Second Opinion Program
UCHealth’s Remote Second Opinion Program gives patients access to the University of Colorado Cancer Center’s independent experts without the need to travel.
Get an expert second opinion from our cancer specialists, whether you or a loved one are:
- Recently diagnosed with cancer, want to confirm the diagnosis or want to receive counsel on the best plan before you begin treatment.
- Already in treatment and want to explore the options our physicians would recommend in your situation.
Cancer specialties offering second opinion consultations
Our medical professionals offer second opinion consultations in a number of specialties, including:
- Thoracic oncology. Lung cancer, malignant mesothelioma, thymoma and thymic carcinoma, small cell cancer in other body sites, chest sarcomas, pulmonary carcinoid tumors, other rare thoracic cancers.
- Gastrointestinal oncology. Anal, colorectal, esophageal, extrahepatic, liver, pancreatic, small intestine, stomach, gastrointestinal tumors.
- Breast cancer. Breast cancer in young women (ages 18-45), pregnancy-associated breast cancer, ductal carcinoma in situ, lobular carcinoma in situ, invasive ductal carcinoma, invasive lobular carcinoma/services/cancer-care/remote-second-opinions/.
- Sarcoma. Soft tissue sarcomas including: GIST (gastrointestinal stromal tumors), leiomyosarcoma, liposarcoma, undifferentiated pleomorphic sarcoma, spindle cell tumors, synovial sarcoma, desmoid fibromatosis, nerve sheath tumors, etc.
Cancer support: patient navigators
Cancer is a disease of the body, but it affects every area of your life.
To help your body, mind and spirit during your cancer journey, we provide the following at no cost to you.
A guide for your journey
Patient navigators help you make your way through the sometimes overwhelming and often confusing journey that typically accompanies a diagnosis or recurrence of cancer.
Our navigators are oncology-certified nurses who help you:
- Understand your cancer diagnosis and treatment options.
- Apply for financial assistance.
- Find trustworthy online cancer information.
- Connect to local and national cancer support resources, including our cancer networks serving the Front Range and our clinical research teams, nutrition counseling and other support.
Oncology rehabilitation program
At UCHealth, we strive to support patients with cancer and enable them to function at the highest level possible. Providers in our Oncology Rehabilitation program design treatment protocols for you to reduce cancer-related side effects that affect your daily life.
Our program is led by a team of physical therapists, occupational therapists and speech-language pathologists with specialty training in oncology rehabilitation. Together we will create a plan just for you.
Our service specialties
- Bowel and bladder problems
- Difficulty talking or swallowing
- Joint pain and stiffness
- Lymphedema (limb swelling)
- Memory problems
- Muscle pain
- Women’s sexual dysfunction and pelvic pain
We offer many supportive oncology programs and services to improve the quality of life for cancer patients, their families and their caregivers. Our programs and services can help prevent or treat the side effects caused by cancer treatments, plus help patients handle the physical, psychological, social and spiritual challenges throughout their care now and in the future.
Supportive oncology services are offered in locations throughout our regions.
Supportive care - Nurse navigators
We offer many supportive oncology programs and services to improve the quality of life for cancer patients, their families and their caregivers. Among them:
- Counseling services
- Exercise programs
- Diabetes educators
- Financial counseling
- Spiritual care
- Support groups
Our programs and services can help prevent or treat the side effects caused by cancer treatments, plus help patients handle the physical, psychological, social and spiritual challenges throughout their care now and in the future.
Jeb Schroder, a 19-year-old who played and starred as a pitcher and third baseman for Springfield High School in rural Baca County, spent six months in an unexpected fight against testicular cancer that spread to his lungs.
When it comes to metastatic cancer, doctors never speak of cures. And they definitely don’t talk about miracles. It’s hard to characterize exactly what happened to Sandy. But her doctor says it’s nothing short of remarkable.
Despite a stage IV cancer diagnosis, Joe Boardman continues to build relationships and his legacy at a cabin on his Wyoming ranch.