Nurse navigators offer special support. Cancer treatment at Memorial Hospital extends beyond medical diagnoses and treatment – our unique nurse navigator program pairs new oncology patients with a specially trained nurse who can provide support from the point of diagnosis through survivorship. Navigators embrace the patient, helping them to understand the diagnosis and making prompt access to care as seamless as possible.
Memorial’s nurse navigator program is unique in that its navigators are all certified oncology nurses. Our navigators have the clinical expertise to care for patients who are diagnosed with cancer. Nurse navigators also specialize in particular cancer diagnoses, so they are highly knowledgeable in the unique and complex challenges associated with the disease.
At Memorial, your oncology nurse navigator:
- Is your advocate throughout your cancer journey
- Teaches you about your specific type of cancer and helps you understand the information you will be receiving from your doctors
- Provides education about your specific treatment and helps plan your survivorship care
- Facilitates rapid scheduling of doctor appointments as indicated by your care team
- Ensures that you have access to the services you require and support you need
- Is your source for education, information and support
- Provides you with resources for support groups, apparel, prosthetic devices and wigs as necessary.
- Coordinates, at all times, with your physician and other members of your care team