Cardiology at Memorial Hospital in Colorado Springs provides comprehensive, multidisciplinary services that range from diagnosis to treatment to rehabilitation. Our team approach gives patients immediate expert medical opinions, which assures an integrated heart care plan and allows treatment to start sooner.
We are a Colorado Springs cardiology and cardiac electrophysiology (EP) practice serving the southern Colorado region. We offer comprehensive, multidisciplinary services that range from diagnosis to treatment to rehabilitation.
Our cardiologists and electrophysiologists work together to coordinate each patient’s heart care from the start.
Advanced heart care treatment
We specialize in implanting the WATCHMAN™ device, a permanent, one-time implant to keep harmful blood clots from entering your blood stream and potentially causing a stroke. This one-time implant will not need to be replaced.
Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) is an FDA-approved procedure that replaces a patient’s aortic valve to increase blood flow to help lengthen patients’ lives.
This procedure is less invasive than traditional open-heart surgery, as it allows a new valve to be placed within the native, diseased aortic valve through a catheter. Often patients are able to go home the next day. The surgery is performed in the hybrid operating room, which is a highly technical room with advanced imaging equipment needed for this technical procedure.
About your appointment
Here’s what to bring to your Heart & Vascular Center appointment:
- Your photo ID (driver’s license, passport, state or military ID are acceptable)
- Your insurance card
- Past medical records related to your diagnosis
- Clinic notes, test reports and imaging (CD) of any recent testing done at another facility
- A list of your medications
- Your referring physician’s office information
- Your primary care doctor’s office information
- Questions for your doctor
In the news
September is Atrial Fibrillation Awareness Month. AFib, as it’s also called, is a heart condition that can be hard to detect and have serious consequences if left untreated. In this video story Dr. Brad Mikaelian of UCHealth Memorial Hospital explains more about the condition and the Watchman™ device, a treatment approach designed to keep harmful blood clots from causing a stroke.
Awards and recognition
Highest quality cardiology and electrophysiology care
Our cardiology team is nationally recognized and committed to providing the highest quality care in the region. Our Atrial Fibrillation program is accredited by the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care which means that we evaluate and manage patients with A-fib more precisely, improve patient outcomes, and educate patients and healthcare providers leading to more effective and efficient disease control.
Faster heart attack care
“Time is muscle.” At Memorial, the average door-to-balloon time is 52 minutes, considerably faster than the national average of 64 minutes.
- Recipient of the 2017 Platinum Performance Achievement Award from the National Cardiovascular Data Registry. Memorial Hospital has demonstrated sustained achievement in ACTION Registry for eight consecutive quarters and met a performance standard of 90% for specific performance measures to receive this award.
- Platinum is the highest achievement offered by the American Heart Association/American College of Cardiology.
- Awarded a three-star rating by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons, the highest rating available.
ACC Chest Pain Center with Primary PCI and Resuscitation Accreditation
The American College of Cardiology has recognized UCHealth Memorial Hospital for its demonstrated expertise and commitment in treating patients with chest pain.
UCHealth Memorial Hospital was awarded Chest Pain Center Accreditation with Primary PCI and Resuscitation based on rigorous onsite evaluation of the staff’s ability to evaluate, diagnose and treat patients who may be experiencing a heart attack.
Hospitals that have earned ACC Chest Pain Center with Primary PCI and Resuscitation Accreditation have proven exceptional competency in treating patients with heart attack symptoms and have primary PCI available 24/7 every day of the year.
- Memorial was the first hospital in Colorado to offer hybrid ablation for patients with atrial fibrillation.
- Memorial is the only hospital in southern Colorado with a cardiac PET scan.
- Memorial is the only hospital in southern Colorado with a congestive heart failure clinic.
- Memorial is a regional leader in women’s heart health research.