Hiking is the epitome of a Colorado activity and a great way to experience the natural beauty of the state. Learn techniques to prevent ankle injuries and prepare for your hike with Dr. Michelle Wolcott to ensure that you don’t get sidelined by injury.
Main things to consider when getting ready to head out on the trail:
- Preparation should match the intensity of the hike. Start slow and build up over time.
- Choose appropriate hiking footwear – look for waterproofing, ankle supports and sturdy soles.
- Pack a bag with water, food, first-aid kit, rain jacket, sunscreen, bug spray and a charged cell phone.
- Familiarize yourself with your surroundings and avoid obstacles.
- Actively maintain focus as fatigue begins to set in on a hike.
- If an adverse situation occurs, stay calm, assess the injury and don’t hesitate to call for help if needed.