Healthy Hearts is an outreach heart health screening and preventive education program.
Our purpose is to educate students, families, and adults about how to live heart-healthy lifestyles to prevent heart disease.
We provide cardiovascular health screenings as a means to educate and empower students to make healthy choices and to identify children with elevated blood pressure and/or cholesterol for early intervention and motivation to develop heart-healthy lifestyles.
Healthy Hearts: improving the health of our communities for over 25 years
38,000+ students screened, and 65,000+ educated to date
What we do
- Conduct screenings to identify cardiovascular risks among elementary, middle, and high school students in northern Colorado.
>> Schools served 2017-18
- Provide a heart exploration and smoking lung demonstration.
>> Heart Exploration
- Participate in local and community events educating participants on the importance of healthy lifestyle behaviors.
- Work with local school districts to advocate, promote, and advance school wellness.
- Provide hands-only CPR education in conjunction with Poudre Fire Authority.
>> Hands-only CPR
- Advance stroke education, awareness, risk reduction and referral protocols as part of the Community Stroke Prevention Team.
For more information about Healthy Hearts, please call 970.624.1680 or email HealthyHearts@uchealth.org.
Help support Healthy Hearts
Positively impact the lives and health of our community! Make a donation to Healthy Hearts (on the donation page, select “Healthy Hearts” from the Designation drop-down).
Links to useful resources
Partner agencies and health information
- Tobacco Free Larimer County
- Alliance for Suicide Prevention
- Poudre Fire Authority
- Start a Heart
- CSU Health and Exercise Science
- Pediatric Guidelines for Cardiovascular Health
- Colorado QuitLine
- American Heart Association
- A Pilot Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial to Assess Tolerance and Efficacy of Navy Bean and Rice Bran Supplementation for Lowering Cholesterol in Children
- Healthy Hearts: a cross-sectional study of clinical cardiovascular disease risk factors in northern Colorado school children (1992–2013)
- Public health nutrition for chronic disease control and prevention with rice bran and beans
- Healthy Hearts Impact Study Poster Presentation PhiR Sept 2015
- Family Intervention Poster Presentation APHA Nov. 2015
- Healthy Hearts Program Impact Study Abstract