Your spine is the main support system for your body. It’s a structural marvel, made up of individual bones (vertebrae), cartilage that connects the bones (facet joints) and spongy tissues that cushion the vertebrae (discs).
While spine disorders are relatively common, especially as you get older, problems in any part of the spine can cause pain and restrict your ability to move. As much as 80 percent of the population in the United States is affected by lower back pain at some point in their lives. In some cases back pain resolves itself over time. But if you suffer chronic, severe, or recurring pain, that’s your back telling you to consult a specialist at UCHealth.
Back, neck and spine care experts at UCHealth specialize in diagnosing and treating spine disorders and injuries of all types. Our doctors combine proven techniques with advanced technology to deliver top-quality care, which means you achieve the best possible outcome for your specific situation.
Diagnostic tests for back, neck, and spine disorders
- Computed tomography (CT) scan
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Myelogram Bone scan
At UCHealth, treatment begins with a conservative, noninvasive approach. However, if we determine that spine surgery is your best option, rest assured you’re in excellent hands—with access to our Blue Distinction® Center+ for Spine Surgery.
Our complete range of treatment options include:
- Conservative treatments
- Ice packs to control swelling
- Medications to reduce inflammation and control pain
- Exercise to strengthen back muscles
- Heat pads to relieve muscle spasms
- Steroid injections
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS)
- Disc replacement
- Spinal decompression
- Spinal fusion surgery
- UCHealth Brain and Spine Clinic - Loveland
- UCHealth Neurosciences Center - Anschutz Medical Campus
- UCHealth Neurosurgery and Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Clinic - Colorado Springs
- UCHealth Regional Neuroscience Center - Poudre Valley Hospital
- UCHealth Surgical Care - Yampa Valley Medical Center
- UCHealth The Spine Center - Anschutz Medical Campus