Our sleep medicine specialists routinely treat snoring, insomnia, sleep apnea and obstructive sleep apnea, sleep-related breathing disorders, narcolepsy and restless leg syndrome.
Sleep apnea sufferers: go mask-free with Inspire therapy
Discover Inspire, a breakthrough sleep apnea treatment that works inside your body with your natural breathing process. No mask, no hose, no noise. UCHealth’s sleep clinics here at Anschutz and at Poudre Valley Hospital in Fort Collins are your preferred destinations for Inspire therapy.
How does it work?
Inspire therapy consists of a breathing sensor and a stimulation lead, powered by a small battery. Implanted during a short outpatient surgical procedure, it continuously monitors your breathing patterns while you sleep. Based on your unique breathing patterns, the system delivers mild stimulation to key airway muscles, which keep the airway open while you sleep.
Is Inspire therapy right for you?
You might be a candidate for Inspire therapy if you are:
- Age 22 or older
- Have moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) with an apnea hypopnea index (AHI) of 20 to 65
- Unable to use or get consistent relief from continuous positive airway pressure, or CPAP
- A body mass index (BMI) of less than 35
Inspire therapy was tested in the STAR clinical trial and approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration. In the clinical trial, patients receiving Inspire therapy experienced a significant reduction in sleep apnea events and significant improvement in quality of life measures. Some notable results include:
- 68 percent reduction in episodes of sleep apnea
- Significant improvements in quality of life and daytime functioning
- 85 percent of bed partners reported no or soft snoring
An inspirational treatment
Sleep medicine specialist Katherine Green, MD, with the Inspire device.