At UCHealth Gloria Gossard Breast Care Center – Steamboat Springs, our diagnostic specialists and caring providers are with you at every step of your care journey.
Breast care services we offer
- Wireless Needle Localization
We provide men’s breast services as needed.
About your appointment
On the day of your mammogram, do not wear perfumes, lotions or deodorants. When you arrive at the Gloria Gossard Breast Health Center, you will be directed to change into one of the warm robes provided for you and store your belongings in a locker. You are then able to wait in a relaxing atmosphere with refreshments until your appointment.
Breast biopsy preparation
When scheduled for a biopsy, the Breast Health Nurse Navigator will call you prior to your appointment to explain the procedure and answer any questions. The Breast Health Nurse Navigator will also review your medications and medical history, as well as the pre-breast biopsy instructions.
Please inform us before scheduling your procedure if:
- You have a history of bleeding or platelet problems.
- You take aspirin daily for blood clots or cardiac problems.
- You take prescription blood thinners, such as Coumadin/Warfarin, Lovenox or Plavix. Your medication regime will need to be changed prior to your appointment and you may need additional blood work prior to your biopsy
On the day of your procedure:
- Take your medications at the normal time, unless the Breast Health Nurse Navigator told you to hold them.
- Plan to spend two hours at the breast health center.
- You will have a mammogram after the biopsy.
- Bring with you, or wear, a sports bra. You will need to wear a sports bra for the next two days.
- Remember to only use Tylenol for over the counter pain medication for five days prior to your biopsy. Take Tylenol after the biopsy to control pain. Follow the directions printed on the bottle. Avoid aspirin and ibuprofen as these medications can thin your blood.
- Returning to work or driving yourself after the procedure is a personal option.
After your biopsy
- Bruising and discomfort are common for a few days after the biopsy. Tylenol and ice packs can be used to control the pain.
- No strenuous physical activity for 2-4 days after the biopsy. This includes: tennis, golf, running, skiing, mountain biking and heavy housework.
- You may shower the day after the biopsy. No baths, hot tubs or pools for four days after the biopsy.
- You will go home with a dressing over the biopsy site and additional supplies as well as written instructions on when to change and remove the dressings.
The Gloria Gossard Breast Care Center is located on the first floor of the Outpatient Pavilion that is connected to UCHealth Yampa Valley Medical Center. There is a dedicated parking lot for the Outpatient Pavilion near the corner of Central Park Avenue and Steamboat Boulevard. It is recommended that you use this parking lot and enter in through the Outpatient Pavilion entrance.
If you have any questions, please call 970.875.2604.
Call 970.871.2399 to schedule an appointment.
Services provided by Yampa Valley Medical Center.