"We look at Healthy Hearts as an integral part of our science education. It is an excellent, informative program; the kids love it and learn healthy life style choices. Thank you again for letting us be part of this experience."
-Teacher, Bauder Elementary, Fort Collins
Healthy Hearts is an outreach heart health screening and preventive education program offered to adults* and elementary and high school students in northern Colorado.
Healthy Hearts Family Intervention program
Thanks to a $154,320 grant to the PVHS Foundation from AstraZeneca HealthCare Foundation's Connections for Cardiovascular Health SM program, we have started a Healthy Hearts Family Intervention to help kids and families learn more about keeping their hearts healthy.
For more information, please contact NaNet 970-624-5298, email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here for the flier.
Healthy Hearts purpose
Our purpose is twofold: first and foremost, it is to educate students and their families about cardiac health and heart disease and to promote heart-healthy lifestyles; second, it is to provide cardiovascular health screenings.
A) allow for the educational component of Healthy Hearts to become personally applicable to students and their families.
B) identify children with elevated blood pressure and/ or cholesterol which creates an opportunity for early intervention and motivation to develop heart-healthy lifestyles now, before their cardiac health has been compromised and years of unhealthy lifestyle habits have been established.
Changing the health of our community
- Healthy Hearts provides cardiovascular health screening and lifestyle counseling to adults in partnership with University of Colorado Health's Aspen Club.
- Participates in local and community events such as Colorado Children's Day, Kid's Expo, and 9Health Fairs, educating participants on the importance of healthy lifestyle behaviors.
- Conducts screenings to identify cardiovascular risks among elementary and high school students in Poudre, Thompson, Park, Windsor, Eaton, Johnstown/Milliken, Ault, and Greeley school districts.
- Performs adult screenings including cardiovascular disease and stroke risk assessments, as well as blood pressure and cholesterol measurements.
- As part of the Community Stroke Prevention Team, Healthy Hearts works to advance stroke education, awareness, risk reduction and referral protocols.
- Work with local school districts to advocate, promote, and advance school wellness.
2012 study: Cardiovascular Risk Factors Among Children in a 20 year Community Study: Influence of the Family
For more information about Healthy Hearts, please call 970-624-1680 or E-mail HealthyHearts@uchealth.org.
*Our adult screenings are for adults outside of Fort Collins. The Health District handles cholesterol screenings for adults in Fort Collins.