Just as important as finding the best team of physicians, nurses and staff is finding a team of people who know that cancer is more than a physical disease, and are committed to treating each patient as a whole person.
At the CU Cancer Center, the same caring team of doctors and support professionals will be with you throughout your entire journey.
- Your team is made up of experts from many fields who specialize in thoracic oncology: thoracic surgeons, medical and radiation oncologists, pulmonologists, pathologists, radiologists, nurses, social workers and counselors. They review your test results, your progress and discuss the next best step in your care with each other and with you.
- All your records, consultations, test results and all the provider notes about you and your treatment’s history are in an electronic medical record, available to all the doctors within the University of Colorado Hospital system. Any of them may be called in from all our specialties to help treat you and your condition.
- You also have access to complementary and alternative medicine through our doctor-led Center for Integrative Medicine.
We’re proud to say that cancer treatment at UCH includes compassionate support and education for you and your entire support network.
As the regional leader in cancer research, treatment and support, you get specialized care not available anywhere else in Colorado.
- World-renowned experts in cancer diagnosis and staging, which are the first steps for getting proper cancer care.
- Patients are treated in facilities specifically designed to protect weakened immune systems.
- Access to many new treatments, including the latest drugs and vaccines for treating lung cancer and increasing life expectancy, through our involvement in clinical trials.
The University of Colorado Cancer Center is a nationally recognized center for second opinions regarding all aspects of lung cancer and other thoracic cancers.
To schedule your second opinion consultation, call 720-848-0300.
What to bring to your second opinion appointment
Our second opinions are based on our review of all available information, including comprehensively re-reviewing all scans and tests.
Please bring all medical records dating back to your diagnosis to your second opinion appointment. Ideally, these should also include your scans on CDs and the actual tumor specimen on microscope slides. The doctors who have looked after you already should be able to provide these for you.
Our remote second opinions program
If you would like a second opinion from our team but cannot immediately come in for an appointment, or live far from our Anschutz clinic, please read about our Remote Second Opinions program.