The UCHealth Surgical Weight Loss Center at Anschutz in metro Denver is a comprehensive program, providing a full range of minimally invasive surgical weight-loss options for patients with a goal of improving overall health and lifestyle.
The procedures we offer include gastric bypass, gastric sleeve and gastric banding. Our Center is designated as an MBSAQIP Accredited Comprehensive Center with Adolescent Qualifications and recognized by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program.
We have also been recognized by Anthem, Optum (United) and Aetna as centers of excellence for meeting or exceeding their rigorous performance standards and quality guidelines.
Our program treats all types of patients, including adolescents (14-18 years old). Our Surgical Weight Loss Center team collaborates with physicians from Children’s Hospital Colorado to evaluate these candidates, and work closely with them and their families to determine if surgery is the right option.
Take the first step
The first step to becoming a patient is attending our informational seminar.
- Tuesday seminars are from 6:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday seminars are generally held at 9:15 to 10:15 a.m.
- Saturday seminars are held from 10:00 to 11:00 a.m.
- Go to our classes/events page, search “weight loss,” and click Submit. Then look for “Surgical Weight Loss Informational Seminar” at the UCHealth Anschutz Inpatient Pavilion.
- After you sign up, you will be emailed directions for the seminar as well as a Patient Information Packet (PIP) and a food journal. Please print this out, complete it and bring it to your first appointment with our surgical weight loss team.
Body Mass Index (BMI) Calculator
The bathroom scale can indicate that you might be overweight, but experts say you should also know your body mass index (BMI). The button link below opens a simple BMI calculator in a new window.
Our world-class team includes surgeons, a nurse practitioner, registered nurses, a program psychologist, registered dietitians, physical therapists/personal trainers and support staff.
Our multidisciplinary program offers:
- Fellowship-trained, board-certified bariatric surgeons
- Dedicated bariatric nurse practitioners and dietitians
- Nutrition classes
- Clinical trials to emphasize weight loss through life changes
- Post-operative support groups
- Post-operative skin fold surgeries
- Specially equipped private and semi-private rooms
- State-of-the-art facilities
- Pre/Post operative physical therapy and training
- Accredited for adolescent treatment
Frequently Asked Questions
Here’s what to bring to your appointment
After you have attended a seminar, please call 720.848.2070 to schedule your initial consult if you are interested in pursuing surgery.
Please bring in your completed PIP (patient information packet) and 3-day food journal. These were emailed to you as part of your seminar registration.
If you have lost your copies, please email us at SWLintake@uchealth.org and we will email you another copy.
We will ask you to obtain all medical records pertaining to health problems associated with obesity and bring them with you to your appointment. These records will help establish medical necessity with your insurance company.
Note: Before getting approval for weight loss surgery, we require that patients complete a nutrition class and a comprehensive psychological evaluation.
Awards and recognition
UCH’s Surgical Weight Loss Center is designated as an Accredited Comprehensive Center with Adolescent Qualifications, recognized by the (MBSAQIP) Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program by the American College of Surgeons (ACS). The MBSAQIP accreditation recognizes the high level of patient care delivered and excellent outcomes provided by our doctors, nurses and staff.