If you notice signs of frostbite, take steps to address it. If the symptoms indicate superficial or deep frostbite or if you’re not sure, be sure to contact medical help immediately.
- Prevent additional exposure to the cold.
- Rewarm the affected area in warm (not hot) water for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Keep the affected area elevated to reduce swelling.
- Use over-the-counter pain medication like ibuprofen if the affected area is painful upon warming.
- Try to avoid walking on frostbitten feet.
Remember that a person who is experiencing frostbite might also have hypothermia, which can be deadly. If you observe the following symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.
- Slurred speech.