Any abdominal pain could be serious, as the underlying cause may need immediate care. You should seek emergency care if your abdominal pain:
- Comes on suddenly and is severe, especially in the lower right side.
- Comes on suddenly in the lower abdomen on either side, and you’re a woman.
- Gets increasingly worse in a short time.
Pain is pain, but if you also have any of these symptoms, you should seek urgent care:
- Abdominal swelling.
- Black or bloody stools.
- Constipation in spite of urge.
- Diarrhea or loose, watery stool.
- Gas and bloating, or the inability to pass gas.
- Nausea, vomiting.
- Radiating or pulsing sensation near the navel.
- Severe pain after eating a fatty meal.
- Weight loss.