This simple breakfast packs a ton of whole grains and antioxidants into a delicious, easy-to-eat meal.
- 1/2 cut old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup milk or water
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- Pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Place oats, salt and chia in a glass jar or sealable plastic container.
- Add-in the chosen milk or water and any any add-ins.
- Shake to combine and refrigerate overnight (or at least four hours).
- Serve with additional fruits or toppings of your choice.
Try some of our favorite variations:
- Carrot cake oats
Add 1/4 cup shredded carrot, 1 tbsp. maple syrup, 2 tbsp. chopped pecans, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon.
- Chocolate nut butter oats
Add 1 tbsp. cacao, 1 tbsp. nut butter, 1 tsp. maple syrup. when serving, slice one banana on top.
- Tropical morning
include 1 tsp. honey, 1 tsp. shredded coconut, 1 tbsp. slivered almonds, 1/4 cup diced pineapple.
- Banana bread
Add 1/2 mashed banana, 1 tbsp. chopped nuts, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon.
- Berry bliss
Add some frozen or fresh blueberries, blackberries or raspberries to the overnight mix. Top with extras when served.
Yield: 1 serving
Total fat (g): 10
Protein (g): 16
Total carbohydrate (g): 56
Total sugars (g): 20
Dietary fiber (g): 11
Sodium (mg): 268
Learn more about healthy eating by subscribing to the UCHealth YouTube channel.