The Transplant Center at University of Colorado Hospital
The Transplant Center at University of Colorado Hospital has been a leader in the field of transplantation since our team performed the first-ever liver transplant in 1963. Our program has grown into the largest and most comprehensive transplant center in Colorado – the only one performing heart, lung, liver, kidney and pancreas transplants – as well as much of the Rocky Mountain region and in several surrounding states.
As the leading academic medical center, not only do we provide superior patient care, but we also offer the benefit of access to clinical trials and the latest research protocols. Our expert team works tirelessly; providing quality, compassionate care that truly transforms lives.
Why choose UCHealth for your transplant?
There are many factors to consider when choosing a hospital for life-giving transplant surgery. One of the most important is the philosophy of care. At UCHealth’s University of Colorado Hospital (UCH), you – the patient – are always our primary focus.
You should consider the volume of transplant surgeries performed, number of patients on the organ wait list, plus the experience and expertise of the surgical team – all factors that set a transplant program apart.
All of the surgeons who perform transplants at UCH are dedicated transplant specialists. Since 1988, our transplant specialists have performed almost 6,000 transplants. This means our surgeons have vast experience in this very specialized surgery. Our transplant physicians are also leading the way in clinical trials for anti-rejection, disease management and treatments, so they often have a hand in creating the latest medical information and techniques.
- University of Colorado Hospital is continually ranked as the #1 hospital in Colorado by U.S. News & World Report.
- University of Colorado Hospital has been ranked in the top ten of all U.S. academic medical centers by the University Health Consortium 5 times out of the last 6 years (including #1 ranking in 2011 and 2012; and most recently ranked #6 in 2015).
- UCHealth’s Transplant program is the only center in Colorado performing all solid organ transplants (kidney, pancreas, liver, lung and heart).
- Rocky Mountain region leader in living donation for both kidney and liver.
- Our transplant program follows post-transplant patients in all 50 states plus Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and other foreign countries.
Questions to ask when choosing a transplant program
Learn more about your transplant journey with the UCH Transplant Center
Some of our notable achievements are:
- First-ever liver transplant in the world (1963)
- First successful double lung transplant on a cystic fibrosis patient in Colorado
- Colorado’s first solitary pancreas transplant to eliminate diabetes in a patient
- First in utero stem cell transplant to save a fetus with a rare blood disorder
- Opened one of the first liver cell banks in the country to further research into new liver transplant procedures
- First living-related liver transplant in Colorado
- First living-related liver transplant on an adult with fulminant liver failure
- Region’s first liver transplant from a non-related donor
- One of the first in the nation to perform living-donor transplant surgery
- Colorado’s first double-lung and liver transplant
University of Colorado Hospital – Transplant Center
1635 Aurora Court, 7th floor
Aurora, CO 80045