Understanding the symptoms, methods, detection, and treatment of poisoning in humans is known as toxicology.
Poison evaluation and treatment services at UCHealth
Minutes and seconds count when you’re faced with a potential poisoning.
Our toxicology experts specialize in evaluating, diagnosing, and treating the health effects and poisoning that can result from exposure to:
- Environmental and occupational toxins
- Chemical substances, including medications, and biological agents such as mycotoxins like aflatoxin
- Hazardous materials, including pesticides, solvents, metals, and gases
Diagnosis and treatment for poisonous bites, stings, and drug/medication interactions
At UCHealth, we also diagnose and treat poisonings or adverse effects from:
- Prescribed and/or over-the-counter (OTC) medications, substance abuse, and dietary supplements
- Interactions between multiple medications
- Herbal medicines and supplements
- Bites or stings (envenomation) from venomous animals, such as snakes, spiders, insects, or small mammals
Chemical analysis and interpretation
Additional UCHealth toxicology services include:
- Using hair, blood, urine, or other biological tissue to help analyze and interpret the impact of elevated levels of heavy metals (lead, arsenic, mercury, cadmium) or other chemicals in the body
- Identifying the cause of illness or health conditions connected with exposure to chemical or biological agents
Workers' compensation provider
UCHealth Toxicology Services is now a SelectNet provider for Pinnacol Assurance, the assured source of workers’ compensation coverage for Colorado companies.