Treating problems with the eye-brain connection.
Your care starts with experience and extensive training
Neuro-ophthalmology is a relatively new subspecialty that deals with complex systemic diseases affecting the nervous system, resulting in vision loss or other visual problems that are not due to the eyes themselves. This also includes loss of sight due to injury to the brain or the optic nerves that transmit visual signals from the eyes to the brain.
Our neuro-ophthalmologists have first completed a residency in either neurology or ophthalmology, and then have completed a fellowship in the other field. They are board-certified in neurology, ophthalmology or both. Because many neuro-ophthalmic problems may have started with symptoms in places other than the eyes, we’ll get your detailed medical history and conduct a complete physical exam if we see clues of a systemic problem.
The right diagnosis
Your treatment will be determined by the cause(s) behind your symptoms, which can include:
- Loss of vision from optic nerve disorders:
- Optic neuritis.
- Ischemic optic neuropathy.
- Compressive optic neuropathy (e.g., from tumors).
- Inherited disease.
- Visual effects of cognitive and neurodegenerative disease like Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and posterior cortical atrophy.
- Vision problems from other neurological diseases, including myasthenia gravis, stroke and multiple sclerosis.
- Thyroid eye disease (TED), which we can treat both medically and surgically.
- Idiopathic intracranial hypertension (pseudotumor cerebri), a condition that may be treated with medication, surgery or cutting-edge nonsurgical procedures.
- Tumors of the eye socket and brain that affect vision. We can perform all orbital surgery ourselves, plus more if needed with the skull-based surgery team at UCHealth.
We offer surgical correction for double vision, which can be caused by a number of conditions:
- Cranial nerve palsies.
- Thyroid eye disease.
- Tumors of the orbit or brain.
- Adult strabismus (crossed eyes), a relatively common occurrence.
You’ll love our unique approach
Because we offer the only dedicated neuro-ophthalmology department in the Rocky Mountain region, our doctors see a broader range of patients than other neuro-ophthalmologists in the country. When a patient is referred to us by another provider, we give them quick access to a diagnosis and treatment, usually within two weeks instead of the months required with other doctors. We also offer clinical trials that keep our treatments at the forefront.
Your case is unlike any other to us. We will evaluate it from the neurologic, ophthalmologic and medical standpoints to best diagnose and treat you with a personalized plan. Our team will work with your other doctors to provide a coordinated plan to speed your recovery. Make an appointment today so we can work together on getting you back to doing the things you love in life.
Dr. Prem Subramanian MD, PhD, Neuro-ophthalmologist | UCHealth
Your eyes are in good hands
111 invention disclosures
40 active clinical trials
14 issued patents
4 “Inventors of the Year”