Healthy Hearts and Minds
Empowering students, adults and families through positive lifestyle choices.
Healthy Hearts and Minds is a community health outreach program focused on school-age preventive health education, adult wellness, and family lifestyle intervention.
Our mission is to empower school-aged students, adults, and families with education, motivation, and inspiration to prevent heart disease and cultivate lifelong habits of physical health and emotional wellness. We are dedicated to improving lives, one heartbeat at a time.
Healthy Hearts and Minds: improving the health of our communities for over 30 years
38,000+ students screened, and 65,000+ educated to date
What we do
- Conduct screenings to identify cardiovascular risks among elementary, middle, and high school students in northern Colorado.
>> Schools served 2017-18
- Provide a heart exploration and smoking lung demonstration.
>> Heart Exploration
- Participate in local and community events educating participants on the importance of healthy lifestyle behaviors.
- Work with local school districts to advocate, promote, and advance school wellness.
- Provide hands-only CPR education in conjunction with Poudre Fire Authority.
>> Hands-only CPR
- Advance stroke education, awareness, risk reduction and referral protocols as part of the Community Stroke Prevention Team.
Help support Healthy Hearts and Minds!
Positively impact the lives and health of our community! Make a donation to Healthy Hearts and Minds.
Links to useful resources
Partner agencies and health information
- Tobacco Free Larimer County
- Alliance for Suicide Prevention
- Poudre Fire Authority
- Start a Heart
- CSU Health and Exercise Science
- Pediatric Guidelines for Cardiovascular Health
- Colorado QuitLine
- American Heart Association
- A Pilot Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial to Assess Tolerance and Efficacy of Navy Bean and Rice Bran Supplementation for Lowering Cholesterol in Children
- Healthy Hearts: a cross-sectional study of clinical cardiovascular disease risk factors in northern Colorado school children (1992–2013)
- Public health nutrition for chronic disease control and prevention with rice bran and beans
- Healthy Hearts Impact Study Poster Presentation PhiR Sept 2015
- Family Intervention Poster Presentation APHA Nov. 2015
- Healthy Hearts Program Impact Study Abstract