“The value of human life is difficult to describe, or fully appreciate, but we perceive a glimpse of its enormity when unexpected circumstances come about. Daily maintenance to the perspective of this reality is obligatory to caring for people in a manner that is appropriate for the title of ‘physician’. Accordingly, my goal is to provide the safest and precisely executed care that is tailored to the individual needs and makeup of the patient in the context of their great worth.” – Dr. James McCarthy
Dr. McCarthy is a board certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon who practices with one resolute goal: to provide the safest and precisely executed outcome centered on the specific makeup and needs of the patient.
He has been in the Northern Colorado Region since 2016 upon completing his medical doctorate at Dartmouth Medical School, a residency in general pediatrics at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (board certified), and plastic & reconstructive surgery at the University of Wisconsin-Madison (board certified). Over the course of his training he has developed a varied skill set tailored to treat microsurgical reconstruction, hand & wrist conditions, pediatric conditions in addition cosmetic surgery.
Dr. McCarthy is a native to the Pacific Northwest completing his undergraduate degree at the Honors College at Oregon State University. He obtained his medical degree from Dartmouth Medical School and during this time was awarded a fellowship to research World Health Organization indicator-diseases in the Caribbean; additionally, he traveled to Northwest Haiti performing missions work prior to the earthquake. While passionate about training in plastic surgery, his desire to care for the pediatric population both medically and surgically lead him to train in general pediatrics in addition to plastic and reconstructive surgery.
Upon completing his Pediatric training at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center and becoming board certified in 2010, he began his surgical training through the integrated plastic surgery program at the University of Wisconsin-Madison combining two years of general surgery with four years of plastic surgery including two chief years. While at the University of Wisconsin-Madison he was awarded a national grant through the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons performing both clinical and basic science research, and presenting at local, regional and national academic meetings. Dr. McCarthy acquired an adept skill set while in Wisconsin including: peripheral nerve disorders, brachial plexus, hand and wrist disorders, pediatric conditions, breast reconstruction, and skin malignancies, facial aesthetics, breast and body aesthetics, functional rhinoplasty and liposuction.
Dr. McCarthy recognizes, and greatly values, the trust offered by his patients and is resolutely committed to safe, effective and compassionate care. Outside of his clinical practice, he indulges in all things outdoors with his wife and two children but has a particular obsession with a sport commonly known as fútbol (also known as soccer).
Qualifications and experience
- Hand Plastic Surgery, Hand Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Plastic Surgery Within the Head and Neck, Surgery - Body Contouring and Liposuction, Surgery - Burn Surgery, Surgery - Cleft Lip and Palate, Surgery - Hand Surgery, Surgery - Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery
Oregon State University
Dartmouth Medical School
Children's Hospital at Dartmouth
University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics
- Clinical interest for patients
- Brachial plexus and peripheral nerve surgery
- Breast surgery
- Breast cancer reconstruction following mastectomy
- Breast augmentation
- Repositioning of the nipple location (breast lift or mastopexy)
- Breast reduction
- Correction of congenital breast reconditions (accessory nipple, tuberous breast deformity)
- Body recontouring
- Abdominoplasty (commonly known as a tummy tuck)
- Brachioplasty (commonly known as an arm lift)
- Facial surgery
- Face lift
- Blepharoplasty (surgery around the eyelids)
- Brow lift
- Rhinoplasty (nose surgery)
- Hand and wrist surgery
- Research interest for patients
- Peripheral nerve imaging
- Safety practices in plastic and reconstructive surgery
- UCHealth strongly encourages you to consult with your health insurer to determine accurate information about your coverage and benefits for a particular health care service provided at a UCHealth facility. Read more here.