IMPORTANT INFORMATION: A referral from your Primary Care provider is needed for this program. Please also check with your insurance carrier to determine if diabetes education is covered by your policy. If you have questions about diabetes or our services, call 719-365-6881.
The Diabetes Care Program at UCHealth Memorial Hospital is recognized by the American Diabetes Association as a quality resource for patients who need help understanding and effectively managing diabetes.
Our Diabetes Care staff includes registered nurses, a clinical nurse specialist, and registered dietitians who are certified diabetes educators. They provide education for Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes for pregnant women and pre-diabetes.
Classes are typically offered:
- Tuesdays – 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Thursdays – 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Regularly offered classes and services for patients dealing with diabetes include:
- Diabetes education for adults is a series of group classes for newly diagnosed diabetes patients and for those who have not had previous education. Participates receive one-on-one consultation with a diabetes nurse educator and monitoring information. A registered dietitian will also create a nutritional plan to help patients manage their diabetes.
- One-on-one case management. We will teach you how to control your diabetes, reduce your risks and improve your overall health. We also will help you manage your diabetes medications. A referral is required.
- Registered dietitians can help you create and sustain a meal plan that’s optimal for your blood sugar, weight issues and lifestyle. Your registered dietitian can also help you plan for special events or eating out.
- Insulin and insulin pump training is available for patients who are on insulin therapy or contemplating an insulin pump. Sessions focus on insulin education, as well as pump usage and dosing.
- Gestational diabetes education classes are available to women who are diagnosed with diabetes during pregnancy. This class teaches women how to monitor and manage blood sugar during pregnancy, as well as what to expect during pregnancy. A meal plan will be provided.
Call us today at 719-365-6881.