A CU Medicine provider.
I believe in global health equity and access to safe and affordable surgical care. Clinically, my philosophy is based on family-centered holistic care with shared decision making. As section chief, my goals are to create an internationally renowned pediatric plastic surgery unit that provides comprehensive complex reconstructive surgical care, innovative research incorporating cross-sector collaborators, and leadership in surgical education through a culture of trust, transparency, and collaboration. In addition, I am focused on building CU’s global surgery program and expanding international relationships to provide bidirectional opportunities for clinical, educational, and research endeavors.
Global Health – Co-Founded Nuoy Reconstructive International a 501(c)3 NGO,
Rock and Roll with my band “Help the Doctor”, and
former stagiare and professional cook at Fork in Philadelphia, PA
Qualifications and experience
- Plastic Surgery, Surgery, Surgery - Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Surgery - Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery, Surgery - Cleft Lip and Palate, Surgery - Orthognathic Surgery (Corrective Jaw Surgery), Surgery - Breast Surgery, Surgery - Free flaps and limb salvage, Surgery - Nerve surgery
- Languages spoken
New York University School of Medicine Program (2005)
Hospital for Sick Children, Canada (2015)
University of Minnesota Medical School (2004)
New York University School of Medicine Program (2011)
UCLA Medical Center Program (2014)
University of Minnesota–Twin Cities (MN) (1999)
- Clinical interest for patients
My clinical interests include cleft and craniofacial surgery, orthognathic surgery, facial reanimation, pediatric plastic surgery, and global surgery.
- Research interest for patients
My research interests include delivery and sustainability of global surgery, cleft and craniofacial clinical outcomes and technical improvements, and facial nerve injury and regeneration using tissue engineering
- Volunteer activities
1. Project Vietnam – Medical Mission. Assisted in humanitarian mission to fix cleft
lips/palates in rural Northern Vietnam in addition to operative pediatric surgical
experience as medical student at National Hospital of Pediatrics, Hanoi, Vietnam. March - April 2004
2. Cleft Lip and Palate Work - Assisted in humanitarian efforts in rural Nepal with local
plastic surgeon Dr. Shankar Rai and his team. Kathmandu, Nepal. March 2009
3. Operation Smile – Volunteer medical mission to perform cleft lip and palate surgeries as Regan Fellow. Lima, Peru. May 2013
4. Medical Missions for Children (MMFC) – Volunteer medical mission to perform cleft lip
and palate surgeries. Antigua, Guatemala. June 2013
5. Operation Smile – Visited Guwahati Comprehensive Cleft Care Center (GC4) with Sick
Kids team to share educational experiences and perform cleft lip and palate surgeries. Guwahati, India. February 2015
6. Operation Smile – 35th Anniversary Cleft Lip Mission – Volunteer surgeon for cleft lip and palate surgery. Cebu, Philippines. Feb 2017.
7. Reconstructive International Cooperation Exchange (R.I.C.E.) – Volunteer mission to
perform craniofacial surgery at National Hospital of Pediatrics, Viet Duc, and Hong Ngoc Hospitals. Hanoi, Vietnam. March 2018
8. Operation Smile - Credentialed volunteer surgeon for cleft mission performing cleft lip repair, cleft palate repair, oronasal fistula repair, and pharyngeal flaps for velopharyngeal insufficiency. Santa Rosa de Copan, Honduras. August 2018.
9. Smile Train – Volunteer surgeon working in collaboration with Drs. Juan Cuellar (Sr. and Jr.) at Hospital de Especialidades Pediatricas. Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas, Mexico. October 2018.
10. ConnectMed International– Visiting professor with Drs. Amanda Gosman (UCSD) and Gordon Lee (Stanford) for CME lectures and demonstrating operative cases. Hue University of Medicine and Pharmacy. Hue, Vietnam. January 2019.
11. Reconstructive International Cooperation Exchange (R.I.C.E.) – Volunteer mission to perform craniofacial surgery at National Hospital of Pediatrics, Viet Duc, and Hong Ngoc Hospitals. Implementation of novel SMS craniofacial disease prevalence study. Hanoi, Vietnam. March 2019
12. Operation Smile – 10th Anniversary Cleft Lip Mission – Surgical Team Leader for cleft lip and palate surgery mission. Guatemala City, Guatemala. Dec 2021.
13. Nuoy Reconstructive International – Volunteer mission to perform craniofacial surgery at Vietnam National Children’s Hospital (VNCH) and Hong Ngoc Hospital. Signing of MOU with VNCH and Hong Ngoc Hospital. Hanoi, Vietnam. March 2022.
14. Operation Smile - 40th Anniversary Op Smile Cleft lip and palate surgery mission. Guatemala City, Guatemala. Nov 2022.
15. Nuoy Reconstructive International - Volunteer mission to perform craniofacial surgery at Vietnam National Children’s Hospital and Viet Duc Hospital. Lecture seminar at Vietnam National University. Establishment of new relationships with Children’s Hospital 1 and City Children’s Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. March 2023.
16. Kasr AlAiny Cairo University - Craniofacial patient examination and discussion; Cleft palate surgical demonstration. Cairo, Egypt. May 2023.
17. Cairo Summer Cleft Course - Unilateral cleft lip surgical demonstration. Luxor, Egypt. May 2023
- UCHealth strongly encourages you to consult with your health insurer to determine accurate information about your coverage and benefits for a particular health care service provided at a UCHealth facility. Read more here.