A diagnosis of cancer is awful. I view the patient relationship as a partnership and focus on educating in clear terms. I try my best to give every patient the time they deserve. We use a team approach to provide the very best cancer care!
In my spare time, I enjoy spending time with my family, long-distance running, snowboarding, and biking.
Qualifications and experience
- Urology, Urologic Oncology, Cancers, Cancers - Urologic Cancer, Surgery - Urologic Surgery, Cancers - Testicular Cancer, Cancers - Prostate Cancer, Cancers - Kidney Cancer, Surgery - Robotic Surgery, Surgery
- Languages spoken
Indiana University School of Medicine Program (2007)
University of Illinois College of Medicine (2000)
University of Colorado (University Hospital) Program (2002)
University of Colorado (University Hospital) Program (2006)
University of Virginia (VA) (1996)
- Clinical interest for patients
My main interests are robotic or daVinci surgery for prostate or kidney cancer. I also specialize in complex abdominal surgery for metastatic testicular cancer. This operation is called Retroperitoneal Lymph Node Dissection or RPLND.
“Please feel free to use my story as needed to reassure future Prostate Cancer victims…and Radical Prostatectomy candidates/patients in general…that there is indeed life after a cancer diagnosis and that a Prostatectomy (at least one done with your skills) won’t keep them from taking on strenuous physical challenges.”
- Research interest for patients
I focus on studying quality of life outcomes for patients with prostate cancer and testicular cancer. The ultimate goal is a patient that survives the cancer and returns to a “better than” normal state. A cancer diagnosis is an opportunity to engage in other healthy behaviors.
- Volunteer activities
I have two missions:
1) I support Epic Experience by recommending their programs to patients, with donations, and serving on their Board of Directors. Epic Experience plans and runs adventure camps for cancer survivors. I’ve seen this truly transform beaten down individuals. It’s amazing.
2) I help my community by active involvement in my children’s school and I coach youth sports. I love seeing children learn new things.