As a surgical oncologist, my focus is on the surgical care of patients with cancer. I believe that the best cancer care is delivered in a multidisciplinary setting, and I work very closely with other providers (medical oncology, radiation oncology, dermatology, gastroenterology, among others) to provide individualized care to cancer patients based on their diagnosis, stage, prognosis and treatment goals.
I was born and raised in south Louisiana and received my medical degree from Louisiana State University School of Medicine. Afterward I completed residency training in General Surgery at the University of Tennessee in Memphis, during which I did a two-year cancer research fellowship at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. After residency, I practiced as a community general surgeon for three years. At that time, I chose to focus my career on the surgical care of cancer patients and completed fellowship training in Complex General Surgical Oncology at City of Hope Cancer Center in southern California. From there I joined the faculty in the Department of Surgery at Tulane University in New Orleans and practiced in that setting for four years. At that point I was recruited and joined UCHealth at Memorial Hospital in Colorado Springs as Director of Surgical Oncology. In addition to practicing in Colorado Springs, I am also a full-time faculty member at the University of Colorado School of Medicine as Assistant Professor in the Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology. In this capacity, I am also a member of the university’s National Cancer Institute’s designated Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Qualifications and experience
- Complex General Surgical Oncology, Medical Oncology, Cancers - Biliary Cancer, Cancers - Colorectal Cancer, Cancers - Gastroenterologic Cancer (Colon, Stomach, Esophageal, Liver), Cancers - Melanoma, Cancers - Pancreatic Cancer, Cancers - Sarcoma, Cancers - Skin Cancer, Endocrine System (Hormones) - Endocrine Cancer (Parathyroid, Adrenal, Carcinoid), Surgery - Major Liver Surgery (Hepatobiliary)
- Languages spoken
Lousiana State University School of Medicine-Shreveport (2003)
University of Tennessee (2010)
City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center (2015)
- Board Certification
Certification Agency Member Board Specialty Year American Board of Surgery American Board of Medical Specialties General Surgery 2011 American Board of Surgery American Board of Medical Specialties Surgical Oncology 2016
- Clinical interest for patients
• Gastric Cancer
• Pancreatic Cancer
• Neuroendocrine tumors
• Colon and Rectal Cancer
• Liver and Hepatobiliary Tumors
• Multidisciplinary care of cancer patients
• Surgical education
- Research interest for patients
Cancer outcomes, cancer clinical trials
- UCHealth strongly encourages you to consult with your health insurer to determine accurate information about your coverage and benefits for a particular health care service provided at a UCHealth facility. Read more here.