I truly believe that education is an essential component in managing most conditions. I like to spend a significant amount of time during each visit listening to my patients about their concerns, and explaining their condition and potential treatment options. This way we work together to make decisions for the best treatment plan.
Patients always come first. Endocrine disorders can be complex and require collaboration with a wide range of other specialists. I believe that working with top specialists in multidisciplinary ways provides patients with the best evidence-based medicine.
That said, I believe that current best practices need to be individualized for each patient based on his or her own beliefs, culture and emotions, and that there is never a one-size-fits all approach.
I am married with three children – one boy and two girls. I enjoy spending time with my family, playing soccer and going for hikes with our dog. Other loves include running, riding my bike, listening to music and reading mystery books.
Qualifications and experience
- Endocrine System (Hormones) - Adrenal Diseases, Endocrine System (Hormones) - Adult Type 1 Diabetes, Endocrine System (Hormones) - Adult Type 2 Diabetes, Endocrine System (Hormones) - Lipidosis, Endocrine System (Hormones) - Osteoporosis, Endocrine System (Hormones) - Thyroid Disease, Endocrinology, Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Pregnancy and Reproduction - Endocrine Disorders
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Teaching Hospitals (2012)
Berkshire Medical Center, University of Massachusetts (2009)
Doctor of Philosophy
University of Colorado - Boulder (2003)
Masters of Science
University of Colorado - Boulder (2000)
The University of the Basque Country, Hospital Civil de Basurto, Bilbao-Spain (1997)
- Board Certification
Certification Agency Member Board Specialty Year American Board of Internal Medicine American Board of Medical Specialties Internal Medicine 2010 American Board of Internal Medicine American Board of Medical Specialties Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism 2012
- Clinical interest for patients
General endocrinology, but I also have personal interest in diabetes/pre-diabetes and obesity.
I also like thyroid disorders, and taking care of patients with diabetes or thyroid disorders during pregnancy.
- Research interest for patients
- Effects of physical activity in age-related changes in cardiovascular function
- Effects of lifestyle changes in the prevention of diabetes and cardiovascular disease