Empathy, listening, and clear communication are central to how I take care of patients and work with members of my team. I use shared decision-making, a process by which patients and doctors decide together what the next step in their care should be. My job is to elucidate and clarify the goals of my patients, present them with treatment options, discuss the risks and benefits of each, and then make a recommendation based on those goals and my expertise.
I am trained in traditional open, minimally invasive (laparoscopic and robotic), and endoscopic surgical techniques. I specialize in applying cutting edge endoscopic technology to common and uncommon problems, working closely with our gastrointestinal colleagues to bring the best care possible to our patients.
I enjoy spending my spare time with my family in the outdoors or preparing meals (cooking, baking, barbecue). I also enjoy playing music (drums and percussion) and a variety of electronic and board games.
Qualifications and experience
- Digestive System - Gastroesophageal Reflux, Bariatrics, Cancers - Gastroenterologic Cancer (Colon, Stomach, Esophageal, Liver), Digestive System - Biliary Surgery, Digestive System - Gastrointestinal Surgery, Digestive System - Hernia, Digestive System - Motility disorders, Digestive System - Surgical Endoscopy, Digestive System - Therapeutic Endoscopy, Food, Nutrition and Metabolism - Weight Loss Surgery, Surgery - Bariatric Surgery - Weight Loss
- Languages spoken
NorthShore University HealthSystem (2023)
University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics (2022)
University of Chicago MacLean Center for Clinical Medical Ethics (2019)
Doctor of Medicine
University of Texas Medical Branch (2015)
Bachelor of Science
University of Houston (2011)
- Board Certification
Certification Agency Member Board Specialty Year American Board of Medical Specialties American Board of Surgery General Surgery 2023 American Foregut Society American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons, Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract Multi-society Foregut Fellowship 2023 Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons Advanced GI MIS, Foregut, Bariatrics, Comprehensive Flexible Endoscopy Fellowship 2023 American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Bariatric Fellowship 2023
- Clinical interest for patients
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Primary and revisional bariatric surgery.
- Endoscopic bariatrics.
- Esophageal dysmotility disorders (achalasia, EGJOO, hypercontractile esophagus).
- Esophageal diverticula, hiatal and paraesophageal hernias.
- Delayed gastric emptying and gastroparesis.
- Abdominal wall and groin hernias.
- Complex abdominal wall reconstruction.
- Gastric cancer.
- Esophageal cancer.
- Benign gallbladder disease and choledocholithiasis.
- Clinical decision making in surgery.
- End-of-life and palliative care.
- Clinical medical ethics.
- Research interest for patients
- Outcomes after foregut, bariatric, and hernia surgery.
- Surgical endoscopy.
- UCHealth strongly encourages you to consult with your health insurer to determine accurate information about your coverage and benefits for a particular health care service provided at a UCHealth facility. Read more here.