Dr. Alan Puddy is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in joint replacement surgery of the hip and knee. He began his medical career in the U.S. Air Force at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, MD. He then completed residency training in orthopedic surgery at the San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium in San Antonio, TX.
After residency, he served in the Air Force while stationed at RAF Lakenheath in England and the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Finally, to obtain subspecialty training in joint replacement surgery, he completed an adult reconstruction fellowship at the Texas Hip and Knee Center in Fort Worth, TX.
Dr. Puddy has gained substantial experience in multiple facets of orthopedic surgery from his time in both military and civilian practices. He cared for patients in the military while stateside, overseas, and while deployed to Afghanistan. Then, during his fellowship, he performed surgeries at a regional referral center for complex hip and knee reconstructions in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Through all of these experiences, he has continued to expand his practice with respect to new skills, surgical techniques and pathways for improving patient outcomes.
He approaches each patient with the straightforward mindset of providing the care and expertise that he would want his family and loved ones to receive. His unique interests in joint replacement surgery include robotic-assisted hip and knee replacements utilizing techniques that improve the accuracy and precision of surgery, optimize patient outcomes, and shorten patient recovery time as much as possible.
Qualifications and experience
- Adult Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery, Adult Reconstructive Orthopedics, Bones, Joints and Muscles - Arthritis, Bones, Joints and Muscles - Hip Injuries and Disorders, Bones, Joints and Muscles - Knee Injuries and Disorders, Bones, Joints and Muscles - Leg Injuries and Disorders, Joints and Muscles - Arthritis, Orthopedic Surgery, Orthopedic Trauma
- Languages spoken
Texas Hip and Knee Center (2023)
San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium (2015)
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (2010)
University of Pennsylvania (2002)
Virginia Polytechnic and State University (2001)
- Board Certification
Certification Agency Member Board Specialty Year American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery American Board of Medical Specialties Orthopedic Surgery 2017
- Clinical interest for patients
- Robotic-assisted hip and knee replacement surgery for partial and total joint replacements.
- Direct anterior hip replacement.
- Complex primary and revision joint replacement surgery.
- Periprosthetic joint infections and fractures.
- UCHealth strongly encourages you to consult with your health insurer to determine accurate information about your coverage and benefits for a particular health care service provided at a UCHealth facility. Read more here.