Healthy Hearts Family Program
The Healthy Hearts Family Program is an innovative 1-year lifestyle intervention that includes the entire family unit. UCHealth and other sponsors provide this program at no cost to you and your family.
Our purpose is to prevent cardiovascular and other chronic diseases using education, connection, counseling and lifestyle modification through:
Healthy Hearts Family Program: learn more
Who is the program for?
Our program is for anyone who wants to be proactive with their family’s health. It’s also for you or a family member with certain health conditions that might increase risk of heart disease, including:
- Being overweight or obese
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Tobacco or substance use
And if you need more motivation to eat healthier or get more exercise, we can help!
Who from my family can attend?
Your entire family age 9 or older!
This can include grandparents or other relatives who are a part of your family unit. Families educating themselves together can not only reduce a child’s risk of developing heart disease, but reduce the risk for other family members.
How long is the program commitment?
- The program involves 10 visits over a one-year period.
- During your first visit, we conduct a baseline screening (for cholesterol, triglycerides, and other factors) and health survey.
- Visits 2 through 6 are family classes, one evening per week, for five weeks.
- Visit 7 is a 3-month follow-up, visit 8 is a 6-month follow-up, visit 9 is a 9-month follow-up, and visit 10 is a 12-month follow-up. At these follow-ups we will take measurements of the different health markers we recorded from your initial screening. Your 12-month follow-up is also your program graduation!
(More detailed visit information coming soon.)
Ready to sign up?
What Healthy Families participants say about the program
- “I learned so much about keeping my family and I healthy through exercise, healthy eating, stress relief, and so much more. During the past 6 weeks I found myself checking my Fitbit and making sure I did the exercise I needed to keep up with my goals. I also check food labels on food more frequently. Even my children started checking labels before they started eating. Again, thank you for this opportunity. It definitely has helped my family and I become more aware and also become healthier.” – Heather Olson
- “I love that the whole family is involved and learning together because then we can support each other in making healthy changes.” – Candice McLaren
Healthy Hearts Family Intervention program
Thanks to a $154,320 grant to the PVHS Foundation from AstraZeneca HealthCare Foundation’s Connections for Cardiovascular Health SM program, we have started a Healthy Hearts Family Intervention to help kids and families learn more about keeping their hearts healthy.