Every laboratory test must be ordered under the license of a
physician and must be requested using the appropriate electronic
ordering system (e.g. Epic), or if an ordering system is
unavailable, on the appropriate requisition form.
PROPER COMPLETION OF REQUISITIONS
Requisition forms must contain the following information:
- Patient's last and first name
- Patient medical record number and patient
account number (visit number) or client number
- IP or OP clinic location or client site
- Requesting physician's last and first names,
and if defined in the laboratory computer,
physician license number (must be legible)
- Specific requirements as listed in the test guide (i.e. time
of drawing for therapeutic drug monitoring, site for Microbiology
specimen, date and time drawn and phlebotomist's initials for
Transfusion Services, etc.)
- ICD-9 Code demonstrating the medical necessity for each test
ordered on all outpatient requisitions
- Phone number or pager to call critical results or to contact
the ordering location.
Note: Medicare generally does not cover
routine screening tests or services when a "rule-out" diagnosis
is provided. Code the condition(s) to the highest degree
of certainty for that encounter/visit, such as signs, symptoms,
abnormal test results, exposure to communicable disease or other
reasons for the visit.
If the patient information is missing, the specimen will
be considered unacceptably labeled.