Oncology counselors provide complimentary emotional support and other services that can reduce stress for you and your family through all phases of your cancer journey. These services can be accessed in individual sessions or support groups.
We offer oncology psychiatry to assist with depression, anxiety and sleep challenges related to a cancer. These symptoms are quite common as 30% of those diagnosed experience one or more of these obstacles. Access this service through a referral by your counselor or provider.
In this video, Marianne Pearson, manager of psychosocial oncology, explains what it is and who should consider it. Marianne reviews different options for patients, including: counseling for individuals, couples and families; support groups; and transitional programs to help find a new normal after treatment ends. Marianne and the entire cancer care team are focused on treating the whole person, not just the disease, integrating advanced therapies with emotional support.
We can help you
- Cope with your diagnosis of cancer and the many emotions you may be experiencing
- Access information to help you understand your diagnosis and treatments
- Consider decisions about treatment options as you think about your work, family and other things in your life
- Understand community resources that are available to you
- Access programs that offer financial assistance
We can teach you
- Coping with your emotions-sadness, anger, worry and fears
- Talking with your children, family, friends or co-workers
- Reducing stress and using relaxation skills
- How cancer affects sex, intimacy, fertility, and feeling good about your body
- Talking with your treatment team members
- Living with cancer, issues commonly experienced and resources to help you long term
- Complementary and alternative medicine
- Planning for your care with the use of advance directives
- Life as a cancer survivor
- Counseling for you and your family members
- Support groups and educational programs
- Referrals to community counseling
How can you find an oncology counselor?
- Ask your doctor, nurse or other healthcare provider
- Call Oncology Support Services at 970-237-7700
- Services in Fort Collins, Greeley and Loveland provided at no cost