During Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT), patients lie inside pressurized chambers breathing 100 percent pure oxygen (natural air contains 21 percent oxygen). HBOT works by increasing the amount of oxygen that can be delivered to body tissues through the bloodstream.
University of Colorado Health offers comprehensive hyperbaric medicine services to provide patients with the following benefits:
- Increased oxygen delivery to injured tissue
- Greater blood vessel formation
- Advanced wound healing
- Improved infection control
- Preservation of damaged tissues
- Elimination or reduction of effects of toxic substances, such as carbon monoxide poisoning
- Reduction or elimination of tissue obstruction by gas bubbles
Sometimes it only takes one or two hyperbaric sessions to benefit from treatment. Some conditions may require as many as 40-50 treatments for maximum benefit. We'll discuss your planned treatment with you in detail before starting therapy.
Learn more about HBOT
Learn more about hyperbaric oxygen therapy at our online Health Library.