What is genetic testing & counseling?
Modern genetics allows us to understand how genetic diseases are inherited based on DNA, genes, and chromosomes.
Genetic tests analyze genes, chromosomes and proteins to:
- Predict if you are at risk of disease
- Determine if you are a carrier for a disease
- Detect or diagnose disease and help to predict how your disease will progress
Recent advances in the field of human genetics have greatly improved our knowledge of genetic conditions. The genetic specialists in the University of Colorado Health system in metro Denver are experts at diagnosing and evaluating genetic conditions and then working with you and your primary care physician to manage them.
Common genetic tests
We offer genetic testing and counseling for nearly any condition, including some of the more common:
- Arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat)
- Birth defects
- Hereditary cancer
- Cardiomyopathy (heart disease)
- Mental retardation
- Muscular dystrophy
- Thrombosis (blood clot)
Learn more about the field of genetics at our online Health Library.